Bath Dance supports the development of dance in BaNES (Bath and North East Somerset) and beyond.
Established in 2011, Bath Dance is hosted at The Edge, University of Bath.
Due to changing funding opportunities and organisational changes, our activity is currently limited. However, the following page describes Bath Dance when we are flourishing, and we hope to be again soon.
Find out more about our current situation
BaNES has a rich ecology of dance activity and we are excited to be part of developing and delivering dance here, ensuring dance in our local area continues to grow and thrive.
We do this by:
- Celebrating and raising the visibility and connectivity of dance in BaNES.
- Supporting what already exists and delivering a programme that creates even more exciting opportunities for people to engage in dance.
What does this mean for you?
- Connecting the dots: Discover dance in BaNES and beyond by signing up to our seasonal e-newsletter and dance diary: subscribe here. This website highlights all of the ways you, your friends and your family can get involved in dance.
- An open door: The Creative Producer can provide bespoke support for those delivering and making dance happen in BaNES. We also host Creative Cuppas- a bi-monthly social get together with skill shares and talks, for anyone interested in or delivering dance in BaNES. Contact us to find out more: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Supporting your practice: Apply for a DanceSeed Bursary to support your professional development. Our Behind-the-Mind master classes with visiting artists such as Akram Khan provide an insight into choreographer’s processes and creative ideas. Take advantage of our SOAR workshops which offer bespoke training such as ‘Dance for Parkinson’s’ or ‘how to apply for funding’.
- See dance: as well as the Dance Diary (sign up here) that showcases local and neighbouring dance performances, Bath Dance has co-presented a professional programme of dance in partnership with venues such as The Edge and Bath Spa University including companies such as Akram Khan Dance Company and Rosemary Lee.
- Perform Dance: Providing platforms to showcase your talent. Bath Dance collaborate with Keynsham Music Festival to deliver a LOVEdance Stage and in association with Pavilion Dance South West and Youth Dance England hosted the regional U.Dance platform here in Bath in March 2016. We have also established a performance dance group for over 60s called YAMA. (Click here to find out more)
- Supporting emerging work: Bath Dance sits on the panel for Testing Ground, a scratch night for dance ideas-in-progress in Bristol open to South West artists and co-produces EVOLVE with Bath Spa University, a platform for graduate dance artists to showcase beginnings of work.
- Developing audiences for dance: We have been working with the Audience Agency South West and venues/festivals in and surrounding BaNES to take the first step in focusing on working collaboratively to share and build our audiences for dance.
- Advocacy: The Creative Producer sits on the regional (Pavilion Dance South West) network, placing and connecting BaNES to the national dance map.